Unanchored Thoughts

Bits and pieces of musings about family, friends, social issues, and whatever else travels through my head without a purpose.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Knox Maguire September 3, 2001-May 25, 2007

It is with deep sadness that I report that Knox died today. At some point I'll write a fitting tribute, but right now I only feel sadness.

Knox has not been doing well for the last few weeks. His appetite has decreased, his energy level was low and he slowly stopped doing some of his favorite activities, such as playing mouse and getting massages. We've been cajoling him into eating and offering tuna and chicken, but about 4 days ago he stopped eating altogether. What few bites I did get into him he immediately vomited. While his energy was OK at times, on a whole he has not seemed well. Yesterday I spent the full day with him and he seemed uncomfortable. Steve and I had a long talk last night and decided that this might be the time. My heart told me it was, but I couldn't wrap my brain around it. Steve spent the night in the basement with Knox where he has spent much of the last week. Knox gave Steve a priceless gift of sleeping next to him like he used to. Today Graeme, Knox and I spent some time enjoying the beautiful weather, but when Knox retreated to a lay under a tree I knew this was the right decision. We were able to just be together as a family for the last few hours of Knox's life, time I treasure.

At 4PM Steve held Knox tightly and I whispered in his ear while he took his last breath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home