Unanchored Thoughts

Bits and pieces of musings about family, friends, social issues, and whatever else travels through my head without a purpose.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Keeping Ian awake

Ian's sleep habits have improved since getting ear tubes, but they aren't anything to brag about. He's twitchy and agitated during much of the night and since we don't really have a room for him it means that he's with us, keeping us awake. I've long been trying to figure out if his twitchier, ear issues, eczema, gas, itchy neck, etc are related to food allergies. I don't really understand the biology of how what I eat gets into the breast milk, but I know it's related. I can't do The Elimination Diet, which is the hardcore mama solution for baby food issues. (The nursing mama lives on free-range chicken so as to make the breastmilk hypo-allergenic.) My alternative is to just eliminate the nasty-six: dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, wheat and shellfish. Problem is that I'm not really good at food elimination of any sort, and I kind of forget what I can and can't eat. But, for the last few months I've given it a half-hearted effort, and I've seen half-hearted results. Well, the other day I was reading I don't know what (actually, I do, but I can't find the link - I'll update if I find it because it's a cool site) and the woman was 'plaining about her restless baby who was all doped-up on the caffeine she drank throughout the day. So, while she was enjoying an afternoon diet coke, the baby enjoyed that same diet coke around, say midnight when it made it's way into the boob juice. I just sat there with my mouth agape. Well, no shit. Of course. I drink a big 'ol cup of joe (because I've been up half the night), which Ian then gets around 6PM causing him to be all geeked up right around the time I'm trying to wind down. The timing might not quite be right here; I don't know how long it takes for the caffeine to make it's way through the production process, but I'm guessing it does. So, what's a sleep-deprived mama to do? I sacrificed the joe for a few days and just drank hot water with honey and lemon (cleansing, I'll admit, or is that too much information?). Results? I have to admit that Ian is sleeping better. He does not twitch or squirm nearly as much as he did on the nights he was doped up on caffeine. I'm not sure how long I can go without java, and I'm too scared to even try decaf, but I am enjoying the more restful nights. Don't get me wrong. I'm not getting a full 8, but we're getting closer. Now, if I learn that the vino is causing the problem then we're switching to Enfamil immediately.

Addendum: I knew I'd jinx the situation by writing about it! Ian was back to the twitchies last night and up at 5:45. I went out last night and didn't see him in the evening so maybe it was because he missed me. I'm so damn arrogant, aren't I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home