Unanchored Thoughts

Bits and pieces of musings about family, friends, social issues, and whatever else travels through my head without a purpose.

Friday, April 13, 2007

4:30AM...

...is too early to wake up. But, I guess someone failed to mention that to Graeme. The past 3 mornings he was been up between 4:20 and 4:45AM. Morning one I tried to soothe him to sleep, eventually let him cry, he fell asleep for about 30 minutes and then we were up for good at 5:30. Ugh. Morning two I brought him in bed with us where he proceeded to tug my hair, poke my face, and kick until we were up for good at 5:30. By Thursday we were all MISERABLE. I spent the day half-asleep and talking to anyone who would listen about what to do to end this NOW. Several suggested that I put him to bed LATER (normal time is 7:30). Even though many of the books I've read said that a solution for early rising is an EARLIER bedtime, I decided to drop the academic parenting and go with this advice. (And, for those of you who suggested that I should be able to handle a 4:30 waking, this is NOT helpful advice.) I kept him up until 8:30 last night and put a nightlight in his room (another suggestion). He woke up screaming at 4:20, we tried to soothe him and eventually just left his room. He cried for 15 (painful) minutes, and then fell asleep until 6:30. So, maybe the later bedtime is the answer. In the meantime, I am still running on half a tank and seem to need more sleep than my now 21 month old son.

1 Comments:

Blogger suiying said...

hahaha i share your pain! waking up early and not having a peaceful night's sleep can be so irritating sometimes (its been happening to me because i have too much stress and homework to do.. D:) but think on the bright side! at least you do not have to wake up at 5:30AM everyday (for the past 4 years..) like me ): hahaha :D

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home