Unanchored Thoughts

Bits and pieces of musings about family, friends, social issues, and whatever else travels through my head without a purpose.

Friday, November 07, 2008

They Will be Lovely

As we prepare for our big move to the new house I find myself wistfully walking around our place and Fairlington, in general. It is so hard to imagine leaving this place. I love the new house, but the truth is that I’ve only seen it twice and so the details are either vague or unknown. Where exactly are the closets? Is there a mirror in the bedroom? Exactly how small is the laundry room? I walk around our current house thinking about all the things I’m going to miss, namely the beautiful crown molding, amazing laundry room and fabulous closet space/basement renovation.

I’m also a bit despondent over leaving the neighbors. These are my bus friends, run into on a walk peeps, pool acquaintances, shoot the breeze on the stoop buddies. Will we exchange holiday cards and visit each other in the nursing home? No. Are these people an integral part of my every day life? Most definitely. Am I going to miss them? Without a doubt. (Oh, except for the asshole who lives next door.)

Yesterday I took Graeme to the local barber for his semi-annual cut. This is an old-fashioned hole-in-the-wall barber shop and “Pat” is the only person who has ever trimmed my son’s red locks. As is often the case I ran into a neighbor at the shop and he expressed his regret that we were leaving. When it came Graeme’s turn for a cut Pat asked about the move. I relayed that I was sad to leave because of the wonderful neighbors and he relayed this little story.

A farmer was sitting on the fencepost when a couple drove up and said, “We are thinking of moving into the neighborhood. How are the neighbors?”

Farmer: Well, how are they where you currently live?

Couple: Oh, they’re lousy. We can’t wait to move.

Farmer: Well, they are pretty lousy here too.

The next week the farmer was sitting on the same fencepost (BTW, how does one sit on a post without inflicting some serious pain?) and another couple drove up and said, “We are thinking of moving into the neighborhood. How are the neighbors?”

Farmer: Well, how are they where you currently live?

Couple: Oh, they’re wonderful. We hate to move.

Farmer
: Well, they will be wonderful here too.

When I saw where the story was headed I practically shed a tear there in the Bradlee Barber Shop. I hope this is true. We want lovely neighbors and we will hopefully create a situation where that wish is fulfilled.

Regardless, I’m sad about moving on from this place I call home.

1 Comments:

Blogger diana onorio funk said...

I love that anecdote! Apparently, farmers are full of wisdom, because another old farmer anecdote I heard recently had the farmer comparing Palin to a "post frog" -- a frog sitting on top of a fence post, that you know didn't get there by itself, it has no idea what to do while it's up there, and you wonder about the asshole who put it up there. :)

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home