Unanchored Thoughts

Bits and pieces of musings about family, friends, social issues, and whatever else travels through my head without a purpose.

Sunday, September 07, 2008

We found sleep

It took 3 weeks of searching, patience, tears, and coffee...but we seem to have found some sleep. I made a commitment in late August to get Ian to love his bed and sleep without his mama. Yes, I know, he's way too young for this, but we bought a very expensive queen sized bed frame several years ago and there's no way 3 or 4 people fit in it comfortable. Even if some of those peeps are pint-sized. Were it not for said bed frame (which, for the record, is beautiful, but kids came along before we had a chance to purchase some decent dressers to go with it so now we have a fancy bed with thrift store bureaus and our room still looks disjointed...I guess the stashes of various kid items headed to the attic, the occasional litter box, and other paraphernalia would distract the eye even if we had gorgeous furniture all around...or at least that's what I tell myself. Thankfully, the bed is a "lifetime" purchase, something my mother said was always important...not beds in particular, but lifetime purchases here and there....kind of like those ski boots I splurged on 3 years ago, also before kids...so I assume that some day, like in 2029 when we are done paying for college, I'll get those bureaus....I digress), I would have been at the Mattress Warehouse months ago purchasing a king sized variety with no-interest, no-payments until your child is 5 years old, thank you very much. But, I'm stuck with the queen sized version so we needed to get Ian out of it or I was going to implode. So, I put him in the crib 3 weeks ago and basically sat by his side with my arm wedged through the slats to comfort him (thank god the Consumer Product Safety Commission advocated standard that made those slats narrow enough to prevent a head from getting wedged, but not so narrow that my appendages can't fit...must have been a sleepy mom on that review panel.). I didn't get any sleep to speak of, but think I handled it fairly well. And now....I wouldn't say he loves the arrangement, but he goes down with ease at 7:30PM, wakes at 11:00, 2'ish and 5'ish, and then is up for the day at about 6:30. Sounds like torture still, I know. But, given where we've been, I'm thrilled.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are back!!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home